At approximately 10:30 p.m., last night, Trooper Brian Kilfoyle assigned to the State Police Troop D Community Action Team (CAT) was stopping a 2008 Chrysler Sebring for motor vehicle violations when the operator fled the vehicle on foot as Trooper Kilfoyle activated his emergency lights.
The operator, CHRISTIAN SOARES, 26 of Brockton was apprehended as he was trying to climb over a chain link fence off of Cottage Street in New Bedford.
SOARES was found to have 19.5 grams of suspected Fentanyl, 2.5 grams of suspected crack Cocaine, 34 pre-cut Suboxone strips, a jar of marijuana, a digital scale and $310 cash. SOARES discarded a backpack which contained a loaded .40 Caliber Smith and Wesson firearm with 12 rounds of ammunition in the magazine, a black bandana, a hooked knife, and fireworks.
Trooper Kilfoyle was assisted by members of the New Bedford Police Department.
SOARES was transported to the State Police Dartmouth Barracks where he was booked on the following charges:
1. Possession / Carrying a Firearm, 2nd Offense;
2. Carrying a Loaded Firearm;
3. Firearm Violation with 3 Prior Violent/Drug Crimes;
4. Possession of a Large Capacity Weapon or Feeding Device;
5. Firearm in Felony, Possess Large Capacity;
6. Fentanyl, Trafficking In;
7. Drug, Possess to Distribute Class B;
8. Drug, Possess to Distribute Class B;
9. Possess Unlawful Fireworks;
10. Resist Arrest;
11. Possession of Firearm / Ammunition without FID Card, 2nf Offense;
12. License Suspended or Revoked, Operating Motor Vehicle with;
18. Failure to stop or yield; and
19. Municipal By-Law or Ordinance Violation.
SOARES was scheduled for arraignment in New Bedford District Court this morning.