State Police Investigating Double-Fatal Motorcycle Crash in O’Neill Tunnel

Massachusetts State Police are investigating a double fatal crash involving two motorcycles that occurred early this morning in the Thomas P. O’Neill Tunnel in Boston.

Preliminary investigation by Troopers assigned to the State Police-Tunnels Barracks indicates that a group of several motorcyclists were riding on Route 93 northbound shortly after 2 a.m. For reasons that are still under investigation, two of the operators lost control of their motorcycles in the tunnel at Exit 23 and crashed, each suffering fatal injuries. Both were determined to be deceased on scene. 

At least two other motorcycle operators who were with the victims remained on scene. 

The victims are young adult males. Their identities are not being released at this time; next-of-kin notifications are ongoing. 

Two lanes remain closed at this time to facilitate the ongoing crash investigation. One lane remains open to traffic. 

The facts and circumstances of the crash remain under investigation by the State Police-Tunnels, State Police Collision Analysis and Reconstruction Section, State Police Crime Scene Services Section, and State Police detectives. Boston Fire and Boston EMS also responded to the crash. 

No further information about the crash is being released at this time. 

(Below incident not related to the double-fatal crash but involved a pursuit that ended in the general vicinity.)

Also on Route 93 northbound this morning, at 3:30 a.m. in the Braintree area, a Trooper observed a motor vehicle that had just been reported stolen in that town. 

The Trooper tried to stop the stolen vehicle; the driver failed to stop and a pursuit was initiated, with Troop H Headquarters assuming command and control. 

The stolen vehicle reached speeds of approximately 100 mph while continuing north on Route 93 as its operator fled from the Trooper. 

Due to backed up traffic entering the O’Neill Tunnel as a result of lane closures from the investigation of the double-fatal crash, State Police terminated the pursuit as it approached the tunnel.

Immediately after the pursuit was terminated, before reaching the tunnel, the stolenvehicle exited Route 93 at Exit 20 and crashed into the barrier. The suspect tried to run from the scene but was apprehended by Troopers. The suspect was transported to the State Police-South Boston Barracks and booked. There were no injuries as a result of the pursuit and apprehension. 

The stolen motor vehicle suspect’s  identity is not yet available.