Just before 9:00 p.m., last night, A 49 year-old Bernardston man was taken into custody by Troopers Anthony Lavigne and Michael Szawlowski at a remote cabin off Haigis Branch Road in Bernardston. Due to the remote location, troopers had to walk a quarter-mile via a trail without access to cell phones and radio coverage.
The arrestee had been sought by Bernardston Police and the Massachusetts State Police since, Friday May 10, after a domestic assault and battery at his home. It is believed the suspect fled into the woods and cut off his court-ordered ankle monitoring bracelet before seeking refuge at the abandoned cabin.
Subsequent to his arrest the suspect was transported to the Shelburne Falls Barracks for booking. He was charged with the following warrant out of Greenfield District Court:
- Assault and Battery with Dangerous Weapon;
- Assault and Battery on Family / Household Member;
- Strangulation or Suffocation; and
- Intimidate a Witness/Juror/Police/Court Official.
He was also charged with the following warrant out of Franklin Superior Court:
- Rape of Child with Force; and
- Indecent Assault and Battery on a Person 14 or over.
The arrestee was held without bail at the Franklin County House of Correction until his arraignment today in Greenfield District Court.