State Police Investigating Serious Crash that Injured 3, Including DOT Worker

At 11:58 a.m. Massachusetts State Troopers responded to a multiple-vehicle crash on Route 95 northbound in Dedham. The crash resulted in injuries to three people, at least two of them suffering serious injuries.

Preliminary investigation by Troop H indicates that a Massachusetts Department of Transportation employee driving a DOT 2016 Ford F150 pickup had responded to a report of debris on the highway and had pulled into the left breakdown lane.

Two northbound vehicles that were behind the pickup slowed down. Another vehicle that was behind those two vehicles, a 2000 Chevrolet van operated by a 37-year-old Canton man, did not reduce its speed in time and swerved to the left to avoid the slowing vehicles in front of him.

As van swerved to the left, it struck one of the vehicles ahead of it, a 2007 Cadillac STS sedan operated by a 26-year-old Brockton woman. Following that impact the van rolled over and struck the DOT pickup that was in the left breakdown lane.

Preliminary investigation suggests the DOT employee, a 53-year-old South Weymouth man, was either entering or exiting the truck at the time it was struck by the van.

The operator of the van was extricated from his overturned vehicle and transported by medical helicopter to Beth Israel-Deaconess Hospital in Boston with incapacitating injuries. The DOT employee was transported to Beth Israel-Deaconess in Boston by ground ambulance, also with incapacitating injuries. The operator of the Cadillac was transported by ground ambulance to Boston Medical Center for injuries of an undetermined severity after complaining of pain.

The crash remains under investigation by troopers from the State Police Barracks in Framingham, the State Police Collision Analysis and Reconstruction Section, the Crime Scene Services Section, and the State Police Troop H Detective Unit.

State Police closed both sides of Route 95 near the crash scene to accommodate the medical helicopter. Other partial lane closures were in effect throughout the crash investigation and cleanup. All lanes were reopened by approximately 2:30 p.m.

No further information is being released at this time.